Monday, December 15, 2008

Third Grade Kickball

I still remember today what recess felt like when I was in the third grade. That year the game was kickball. More pointedly, I remember the awesome red ball we used. It was the kind of ball which was somewhat solid, yet spongy enough that when it hit that sweet spot on your foot, it seemed to soar in the air for a mile. I also vividly remember the classmate who never thought he was out. The play didn’t even have to be close, but regardless, he would dispute the call if he was out. After weeks of this behavior, another classmate and I decided that it was time for us to become the teachers, so we made up our own lesson plan. Thus, 'table-top' technique was applied. This was done very quickly, succinctly and successfully. I engaged the whiner in a conversation while my buddy slowly walked behind him and proceeded to get down on all fours. Once he was in place, I gave a quick shove and watched as he tumbled backwards over my accomplice’s back and onto the ground. We had a good laugh…until he started writhing around on the ground in pain. His cries and groans caught the attention of the teacher on duty and our laughs quickly turned to concern and to that dreaded 'oh, no' feeling. As we weren’t able to go out to recess for a while after this, we realized very quickly that our reactive, aggressive behavior certainly didn’t solve the problem. A peaceful solution wasn’t tried and things only got worse. Remember, "If it's possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." (Romans 12:18)

1 comment:

sln said...

Ya big bully! I wish you well. Merry Christmas. Maybe we can run into ya'll over break. Just watch out for somebody on all fours behind ya!