Monday, February 23, 2009

Worthy of Endorsement

I remember the day well as I set out to a favorite hiking spot. As I arrived, the sun was shining, the birds were chirping and the temperature was close to perfect. I’m not really a nature buff, but shortly after I arrived, I began to drink in the beauty around me. Everything from the wild flowers to the waterfalls to the bubbling brook and the swaying trees seemed to be harmonizing in a song of adoration. I was glad to catch the spirit and I joined right in with a song of my own. Needless to say, it was inspiring and invigorating to worship and praise in this unique setting. Psalm 22:26 promises that “those who seek him shall praise the Lord.” Praise in this sense means to laud, honor, and boldly declare something to be "worthy of endorsement." Just as I went out with a purpose and specifically sought after God in nature on my hike, David also recalls a few of the many reasons to honor and praise the Lord. (Read all of Psalm 22). He knows that “those who seek [God] shall praise the Lord.” We could even say that those who truly seek God will not only find God but also feel compelled to praise him! Many things in our world today are marketed, advertised, and endorsed for a variety of reasons. I wonder – where in our lives today can each of us openly declare that God is indeed “worthy of endorsement”?

No comments: