Monday, June 2, 2008

Junk Food

You’ve hit another milestone birthday, and your spouse has decided to remind you of this by throwing a surprise party. You and I have been friends for a few years, and so when I get my invitation, I make a note of it on my calendar and plan to attend. The days leading up to your party are hectic for me and on the actual day of it, I’m flat-out swamped. Somehow, I do manage to remember your party and arrive, albeit a little late. When I get there, my heart sinks because everyone else is giving you a birthday gift. It obviously slipped my mind to get you a gift, so I quickly rush next door to the convenience store. I scan the shelves for an entire minute and hurriedly grab a bag of chips and a king-size candy bar. When I come back to your party, you smile, thank me for coming, and gladly receive my gift, sort of. It’s obvious that I didn’t spend a great deal of time picking your gift out, unless I can convince you that every time I think of salt and vinegar potato chips, you readily come to my mind in an endearing way. You know my gift wasn’t from the heart and, quite frankly, it does make a difference. Have you ever treated God this way?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Treat your friends as you do pictures and place them in their best light, and remember that Jesus Christ is your best friend. The best things in life are not things.

Anonymous said...

Bruce, I wanted to pass along my sincere congratulations on your book! I just purchased a copy 2 days ago and am really enjoying it! I think I may use it as a devotional this summer with my kids! I've known Christ since I was 13, but He has had me on a journey for the past year and a half...your book is obviously part of this wonderful journey!! Thank you! And praise God! He is so good!

Tina Deetz

Bruce Hamsher said...

Tina,
I would love to hear more on your journey sometime. Sounds like a life-giving adventure. God gives us these experiences so we can take others along for the ride. Saddle-up sister!
Bruce