Monday, September 29, 2008

Grumpy Old Men

There were two grumpy men in a nursing home who had argued for years. One became ill and thought he was on his deathbed, so he called for the other man and said, “John, I’ve been thinking about our relationship. I’m willing to forgive you for what you have said and done against me over the years, and I’d love if you’d do the same for me.” With tears in his eyes, John agreed that he too would like to forgive and be forgiven. Then his friend in bed said, “But if I get better, this doesn’t count!” Oh, how we love to be in control over life’s circumstances. We plan the agenda and freely call the shots. And sadly, at times, we even treat God with the same kind of conditions and in the same way this elderly man treated his friend. Today, is your relationship with God one-sided? Do you serve Him on your terms and conditions? May we all see the uselessness of such a stance and may we instead, rely fully on his Spirit to work in and through us.

No comments: