Monday, August 18, 2008

Jogger Shot in City Park

A while back I had some time off from my church responsibilities so I went with my wife to a conference she was attending. As she spent time during the day at her seminars and workshops, I explored every bookstore I could find and enjoyed the miles of walking trails that this city offered. When I told my wife what I had planned to do, she responded by reminding me to “…please be careful.” I smiled and playfully made a sarcastic remark. She smiled back and sincerely stated, “honey, I just want you to be safe.” One day then, after walking several miles, I stopped for lunch a nearby cafĂ©. As I picked up the local paper, I got chills as I read the headline, ‘Jogger shot in city park.’ I instantly felt uneasy and vulnerable. Very quickly, my wife’s prophetic words echoed in my mind. I realized that she hadn’t been lecturing me, she simply wanted me to be safe in an unfamiliar place. I got the point! Ezekiel 34:23-31 speaks of things that will happen to ‘sheep’ who remain in the right pasture. They will have protection, provision, be blessed, be rescued, live in peace, and will be kept safe. None of these, however, are promised to those sheep who are enticed and wander away to reside in other pastures. In the unfamiliar places in our lives, let’s remember to do all we can to remain safe, alert and under the care of the right voices and the right shepherd.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock !