Monday, April 21, 2008

The Orange Vest

A life jacket was developed to keep people alive...but it is useless unless you wear it. During one particularly stressful time, I took my wife on a little surprise getaway. We traveled to a nearby
lake and rented a boat. The idea was to get away from everything for a while. No phone, no noise, no responsibilities. We were having a great, relaxing time out in the middle of the lake—until my wife realized that I wasn’t wearing my life jacket. Why couldn’t she relax? For good reason. She was anxious because I can’t swim. She knew what the result could be if I fell into the
water unprotected. I assured her that I’d be fine, but she wasn’t convinced and insisted that I put the jacket on. This is the same kind of anxiety and urgency we must have for persons who are unprotected from the shark-infested waters of sin. Who do you know that's exhausted from swimming against the tide and is struggling to stay afloat? God calls us to intercede and be lovingly persistent with those persons in our life who need to be fitted with the eternal life jacket.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Hey Bruce.....

Just wanted to congratulate you on the book! We couldn't make it to your book party but just wanted you to know how glad we were for you. You guys are the best!

Missy

Bruce Hamsher said...

Thanks Missy...tag, you're it for the next one!